Tuesday, January 5, 2010

thank you jessica

written by Jessica Rogers Kirksey

"LIFE" Please read!
Share

I had a very humbling experience today. No lie, this really happened I called my mother crying after this experience. I had a new client consultation this morning here in Richardson. Obviously, I do not know anything about new clients prior to meeting them, so every time you get something very different! Which is the most obvious reason that I love what I do for a living, not only do I get to care for animals and help to improve their quality of “Life”, but I also get to interact with incredible, amazing and unique people and help to make their “Life” a bit easier! I drove up to the house, which I arrived to 15 minutes early because I have an issue with tardiness! I gathered myself, gathered my books and walked up an average walkway to an average townhome. I rang the door bell and heard the familiar greet of dogs barking, as I normally do at any visit. A very well groomed, small statured man in his mid 30’s came to the door. I introduced myself as I always do with a hand shake and quickly kneeled down to address the two cute dogs that were desperately trying to get my attention. Thereafter we sat at his dining room table to go over questions he had for me, paperwork and typical consultation information.

Ten minutes had gone by while we were talking and a very small, glowing, feeble woman walked in and said, “you must be Jess, I am so glad we found you”. I stood up, shook her hand and pulled the extra dining room chair out for her. She sat with us and her husband just began to look like his skin had been replaced with defeat, stricken with sadness and an overwhelming sense of despair filled the room. What I have not told you is that this little woman, his wife, was missing all of her hair, she had 3 very large surgical scars on her bare head. Atrophy was apparent and she was very pale. Finally, she spoke and said, “I’m SICK. That is why we need you to come everyday and walk the dogs, so that we do not have to find them a new home. My husband loves our dogs very much as do I, so I want the dogs to be here for him when I am gone.” She told me this with a calm, sweet smile on her face. I could not hold back my tears on this one and I am a pretty stellar about not expressing much emotion! She asked me not to cry and if this would be a situation that I would be willing to help with. Of course I agreed! This 28 year old woman who is literally dying and has been given a time stamp selflessly is looking out for her beloved husband and dogs!

I endured a lot in 2009 like almost loosing my pregnant sister and nephew in a horrible car wreck and sitting in the hospital everyday for over 8 weeks while she fought to save Baby Jack’s life (most of the time alone)! Times of loneliness, grief and stress. Pain and sorrow caused by all of the ridiculous drama that others had caused in my life. But, IN NO WAY IS MY LIFE THAT BAD IN ANYWAY, SHAPE, FORM OR FASHION!!!!!!

So, now I sit here thinking the following:

Why the world is constantly lacking morals, hate filled and ruthless. It’s like I constantly say, “ I never watch or read the news for it instills fear in people’s minds by painting a picture.” You always here of this horrible storm that will hit or how the economy is in horrible despair, but the world never ends. The days still follow the nights and you continue forward. For some reason, we are continued to be blessed with “LIFE” everyday!!!! Does the chaos in this world stem from lack of faith in a higher power? For instance, I chose God. Your higher power is for you to chose and for me not to judge! Or could it be the lack of family bonds and positive influence in one’s life? I am not sure, but I have a theory.

I feel as if people in today’s world lack role models and positive leaders! The adults, or should I say elders in today’s world are the problem! No, I am not saying everyone, but I am saying the general population. It is not the children or the teens, it is the decisions, behaviors and actions by adults (my generation and older) that is broadcasted across this country on every computer, on every billboard and on every magazine! Our idolized athletes are using performance enhancing drugs and the leaders of our country are involved in sex scandals, racial indifferences, and have huge dollar signs beaming from their eyes. Look around you, you see it everywhere. Churches and schools across the United States are having to change curriculum to adjust to this turmoil that our country is dealing with. How does it make you feel that your 6 year old starts their first day of kindergarten and the first thing they go over is not the ABC’s or 123’s they in detail go over “what to do if a bad man comes into your class”. Yes it is important for all children to know this, but it is dismal and dubious and we never should have let things get to this point!

It’s time for me to take a look at this and start making a difference! I am apart of the problem as well! 2010 needs to be about improving quality of “LIFE”! It needs to be about helping others, being selfless and yet taking care of yourself and your FAMILY!!! Find those people I have hurt along the way and make amends for my faults! Find your higher power! IF YOU WERE TO DIE TOMORROW, WHAT WOULD YOU DO TODAY? Now, go do it!
-Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment