Saturday, January 1, 2011

new year new Memories

Hello folks,
     As most of you know 2011 is upon us,  those that don't I will buy you a calendar.  Any way it was a REALLY rough year for Mike and me, but the main thing to remember is we got through the mess with our sanity intact.  YAYYYY!
     So, last MRI showed that the scar tissue has shrunk some which is a super positive.  I give credit to the horses.  After the memorial today I went to the stables for about 2 hours and Olivia and John helped me groom Dearaz and Odie.  Dearaz was first because she was Very dirty from laying down in the mud to cool off.  I picked the front hooves and brushed manes and tails. Dearaz took about an hour to fully groom and loved every minute of it, Odie just needed to be brushed off.    Olivia is very knowledgeable about horses, I was impressed.  The horses never fail to put me in good spirits...ever.  Every time I leave I have a giant smile on my face and I am calmer for the rest of the day.

     I lost a friend on the 26th.  He was someone that I had known only a short time but he had a PROFOUND impact on me and my attitude.  I knew him by the name Cowboy.  He had throat cancer 10 years ago, treated with a shot gun blast of radiation to the throat which killed the cancer but then he passed from radiation poisoning.  I suspect that he was in unimaginable pain every day but he never complained and he never stopped smiling.  He was what I aspire to be.  If you knew him you were crazy lucky to have him in your life.  I know I will NEVER forget him. 

     At the memorial today I went to his mother to tell her what an inspiration he was to me and after I told her she looked at me and said, "Oh you must be Andrea."  I was so flattered that he spoke of me that I had to sit down. The memorial service was BEAUTIFUL and touching and PACKED.  He went to a biker church and they did a 21 bike salute.  His bike was his baby so I know he enjoyed that.

      Well Benton "Cowboy" Nelson here's to you!!!! Enjoy your cornbread and milk at the Lords table.  God forbid he is in a heaven without Harleys.  We all love you and you will be missed. I hope to see your smile when I get to where you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment