Thursday, January 27, 2011

Feeling all better

So my last blog reeked of depression.  Well this one will not be that way. 

     I am now going to explain why I and every other cancer patient may dip into a depression when finding out the GREAT news.  My MRI came back for the third time showing stability and just a few single dormant cells.  Now for the last year and a half I was convinced that my life was going to be declining into oblivion and I would be gone in 5-7 years.  Those are the stats and still are but due to the steady hands of Dr. Fredrick Lang Chief of Neurosurgery at M.D. Anderson, the skill of Dr. Nedzi's pinpoint radiation treatment, and the unending patience of Dr. Fink and her entire staff; the tumor has been reduced to just a few dormant cells.
     That means that as long as they don't wake up and barring an accident I have no time limit on my life anymore!!!  But the fact is that when we come to grips with our own mortality it is an incredibly humbling realization and a MAJOR change of the way you live your life.  Then  you have another Major change back to the way things were but you have already made the changes. 

     Now the horses are saving my life, yet again.  I am trying to learn all about the tack and the fine tuning of the gorgeous horse.  All I have ever known is how to abuse horses by being on the track and working for a trainer that saw horses as just a commodity.  Sarah Hamilton started to teach me the right, gentle way to handle them. But I was so high strung that I scared them.  Until I had the surgery I did not realize how high strung I was, and I gotta tell you calmer is way better.  Now I spoil the horses and give them lots of love and attention and they give it back ten fold.  I am working with English and Western tack.  English first then western.  In the summer I am going to take a riding class.  I am thrilled about starting on the right track to become an instructor.  But I have to be a master rider and master on tack before I can instruct others.  I have never been very good at the canter or lope. 

     On Saturday we are leaving the country to go to Turks and Caicos for my sisters wedding.  However, it is the first vacation as a married couple.  We are both extremely excited, no phones, no doctors, no worries except how much sunscreen to put on and what book to read. 

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. You don't know me, but I've been reading your blog for a while. I'm glad things are going so well. Have a good vacation!

    ReplyDelete