Wednesday, August 21, 2013

6 years too late

Back in 2007 I was in college and as most college kids are I was flat broke.  So when I found a two story apt with a balcony for dirt cheap I immediately signed the lease.  Red flags
1. it was scheduled to be demolished.
2 there were cars on blocks
3(prolly the most important) it was in the ghetto.
So I walked in one day threw my keys on the table and they hit the floor. I looked up and it took a second, but then it dawned on me.  ALL my stuff was gone. My couch, my dining room tables and chairs, my clothes, my computer, all my paintings.  They were replaceable but they got 2 things that I cannot replace.  My deceased mothers diamond necklace, and a mirror that my Grandbetty gave me.
Needless to say I was livid, irate, furious, seeing red.  I totally lost it and kicked a hole in the wall. Yes little ol' me now property destroyer. Mike (my boyfriend at the time) was with me and he was levelheaded.  He told me not to touch anything and go sit outside while he called the cops. Well in instances of robbery the cops are basically useless.  So I lost all my stuff and had to start over.  I still get a twinge of anger when I think about the robbery.  I mean that is when I was asking why me.  I try to self soothe by telling myself it allowed me to get a fresh new start.  But that is a bunch of bull, I had moved there for a fresh start.
Today I woke up and it dawned on me.  The apt managers didn't bother to change the locks.  Probably because it was scheduled for demolision.  I blamed the management then sued and got nothing.
Word of warning for all you broke college kids out there and parents of kids in college. Whenever you move into any place before you sign the lease make SURE they changed the locks.  I don't want anyone else to go through what I went through.
 THANK GOD I wasn't there.

No comments:

Post a Comment